Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yearly trip to Eastern Oregon

We have made it back from the Elk hunting trip (on Monday, Nov. 2nd) for this year and it has taken me a couple of days to recoup.  We left before day light on Oct. 22nd.  Took this picture from the pickup but it didn’t turn out to well. (Think the window needed washed) but it was so pretty with the sun just coming up and the fog just starting to disappear.

Sunrise on trip up to camp

Hope I can figure out this Windows Live Writer thing that I’m trying to use for the first time. Looks like it would be easier than the other way. Guess it will just take time.

Ronnie and I got to spend a couple of days alone up there before anyone else showed up. That was nice, except it rained most of the time. After the boys got there it was time to cut wood. Well, they were really board and got carried away, and cut way to much. That was OK, we’ll just have hot, hot fires.  The day before season opened it snowed and this was what we got. Not a lot, and was nice to see the Elk tracks!! (If there would have been some).

 

Camp

Season itself was not good. No meat for the freezer. I managed to go up on the hill 2 days to hunt. You can’t see it in the picture, but behind those trees is a hill you need to climb to get to the stands. Probably go back in there about a mile. It took Kelly and I 45 min. to get to our stand, and you walk on an old road.  The altitude thing didn’t help at all and I had to make several stops before we got to the top. Probably won’t be able to make this trip for to many more years.

 

Rain, wind, snow, and a 18 degree nights, with a couple of nice days in there, so it wasn’t a really bad year except the elk didn’t co-operate!!!                                                                                                   The trip home was not good on my nerves (am having trouble making new paragraphs on this thing)  One day before the boys got there, Ronnie and I went for a ride and the pickup just quit on use (lost power)  Turned the key off and back on and it started again, but wouldn’t shift from low. Made it back to camp, parked it, then decided to call Steve and have him bring the Super Chip up with him in case we needed to have the truck worked on. Went to go down and call him and everything worked just fine.  Tried to get Ronnie to at least lift the hood and look. No Way!!  Anyway, we are on the way home, just turned off 84 onto 205, just before the tunnel, in the middle of morning rush hour, and it did it again. It just died!! Just happened to be a spot to pull off!  OK, turned off the key and then it started again, and shifted just fine.  Got onto I5 and just out of Salem and it did it again, only this time it was done. Wouldn’t start at all. So NOW he decided it is time to get out and look under the hood. I’m almost in tears seeing $$$$ signs for a tow truck for the pickup and the 5th wheel.  He comes back to the truck and tells me it’s and easy fix if he had a pair of pliers. WHAT?? NO TOOLS!! The battery cable was LOOSE!!!  He tightened it by hand till we got to Albany and went into Home Depot to buy pliers.  How come he has to be so darn stubborn???  If he had just looked under the hood at camp when I asked him to, none of this would have happened. Could have been a big accident in that heavy traffic in Portland, with no power steering and no brakes. I point blank asked him “How come he was so stubborn??”  His answer “I don’t know”.

Have been on here typing long enough so will get off and go do some more cleaning in the trailer.  At least I’ve got all the laundry done!!        Take Care

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marge! I seen you left a comment on my blog and it didn't go to my email liek they usually do. Thanks for the compliment on the lost quilt. it was heart breaking. I didn't follow a pattern. i was just inspired by one I had seen on the web. but I can tell yuou I sewed 2 9" squares on the diagonal which gave me 2 big HST and then added a 3.5" square to the corner of those and sewed those on the diagonal. I'll go back and post a pic of the block so you can see it is a very simple block to make.
    I didn't know you had a blog. I'm going to add you to my blog list.

    ReplyDelete