Well, on Monday the DIL called and said that her daughter had called & there was a friend there who had a dog that he was on his way to have put down because he couldn't have her and wanted them to take her but they couldn't. DIL new that we were talking about getting another dog so she called us to see if we would take her. A Golden Lab, 2 1/2 years old was all we new about her. With a very short discussion we said yes!! Did not know anything about her only that the guy said she was housebroke and very nice.
The guy had already left to take her in to have her put down but they were able to get a hold of him on his phone and told him to bring her back. Son and DIL went to get her for us. Sent me a picture when they got there. Also found out that this man had got her from a friend of his who had been evicted and then found out he couldn't have pets. He had only had her for 3 or 4 days.
When she got here she stunk so very bad and of course did not know what the heck was happening to her world. I called around trying to find a place to take her in for a bath, but no one would do it because we didn't know if she had had her rabies shot, and she would need them for 2 weeks before they could take her, which I can understand, but I couldn't do it anymore I knew. Called the vet the next morning to get her in & get the shots started and then a day that had me almost in tears started.
Her name is Koda, but she doesn't answer to it at all. She came thru her check up with an A+ and they got the shots started. Koda was so good and everyone fell in love with her. Told the vet about how we happen to have her and how long we had had her. She told me that she had just weened a littler of pups, which we had been told she had had 2 litters, also from looking at her teeth that she had been kept in a kennel and that she suspected was being used for a breeding dog. I told the vet about my problem with the bath thing and as we were getting ready to leave she came into the room and said "You know we have the facilities here to give her a bath, we can't dry her out like they do at a groomer, but if you want to leave her & pick her up this afternoon we can do this". Well of course I was so very happy and thankful. At least we would be able to get close to her and to pet her. When you would pet her your hands felt awful. We also discussed having her spayed and the cost. We are on a limited income and only so much a month can go for something like this.
From there I left & went to the car and as I was backing out a young lady started pounding on my car window. Liked to scared me to death as I had my head turned making sure I didn't run into anything. She said "wanted to catch you before you left". She told me that the Humane Society sometimes helped with having pets spayed and that if I wanted her to call them and see if they would. OHH yes, that would help out so much. OK, she would and get back to me after she found out. Came on home really not believing what all had just taken place. A couple of hours later the young lady called and the Humane Society would pay for the whole thing and if we would leave Koda over night they would do the surgery in the morning.
So we spent the night without her and getting things ready for when they call today and she gets to come home.
She seems to be such a mild, dog, she seems to love kids as while she was out in the yard the kids had all got of the bus and she just lapped up all the attention, but I think she has had a hard time with men. She would walk out and around the hubby and he couldn't pet her. Am sure that she will warm up to him as I have not seen a dog yet that didn't love Ronnie. OK here is her picture.
She is going to need a lot of traning. Like going outside (no accidents yet), to come when you call her, to sit and a lot of others probably that I can't think of right now. Another weird thing is she will not take treats or anything from your hand. Even the vet tried and her remark was "I haven't seen a Lab yet that wouldn't take a treat".
So we are waiting now for a phone call!! Thanks for letting me ramble, I'm still in Ahhhh!!!
Oh my goodness! Koda is just gorgeous, I'm so pleased you and Ronnie were able to give her a home. Saving one dog doesn't change the world, but it does change the world for that one dog. Bravo.. well done!
ReplyDeleteIf she doesn't respond to her name, maybe she needs a new name. She might associate that name with fear. I love a white dog. We lost our Eskie a year ago...he is so missed. Good luck with her!
ReplyDelete