Monday, November 11, 2013

Need to do some updating

Haven't been doing much sewing for quite some time. Spent the first part of Oct. getting the 5th wheel ready for our yearly trip to Eastern Or. Decided to leave earlier than usual this year so spent 2 weeks plus up there. This meant taking a lot more food (more on that later) and cloths. When dry camping you have to be prepared you know. It's about an hours drive to the nearest town that has anything. Ukiah is a very very small town and you are very lucky if you can buy a loaf of bread!!! Hubby and I spent a week up there by ourselves before either of the boys got there. Spent time trying to cut some wood for the campfire.

The weather would get down into the 20's at night but the days were beautiful (60's) the whole time we were there. (Didn't need all those warm cloths I brought) except for the morning that we left!! Wasn't expecting this as it was just foggy when we went to bed!



After the boys got there this is what our little city looked like



I have a terrible time with the steps on the 5th wheel. No problem going up but coming down is not fun. Years past the boys have cut very LARGE cuts (blocks) from downed trees and made my steps.
Now this is what the eldest son came up with for me. Even Koda loved them. Was SO MUCH easier to get in and out!



The opening day of season was very heartbreaking!! Eldest son went out with me to keep me company on my stand. He Archery hunts so can not rifle hunt.  Made it the mile plus walk up to it with just a couple of rest stops. About 1 o'clock the BIGGEST Bull I've ever seen in the wild showed up. Had to have been a 6 point or better. Needless to say he was very good at running. Then we both were just sick the rest of the day!! Have always said if I would get one he (the elk) would have to be standing still and broadside to me before I would even try!!  Would hate to just wound one. Needless to say--No Picture!!

Season had opened on Wed. and now it is Sat. morning and we had just walked up to my stand and Eldest son was just taking his backpack off and there was 2 shots really close. Youngest son was not far from us and had left a little earlier than us to get farther back on the ridge (his favorite spot)!! Kelly unzipped said backpack to grab his radio and no sooner turned it on and Steve was on there saying "Spike down"!! Waaahooo, we didn't get skunked!! Kelly left to go back to camp and get the meat cart and then back out to get the elk. This is them as they are going by my stand on their way back to camp with the elk.

3 hours later Kelly came back and spent the rest of the day with me. He had left Steve in camp to clean the Elk. Steve then came back out with the grandson, who had a youth tag for a cow. This was his first year to hunt. Steve and Chris had always seen Elk on their way back to camp after a long day and that evening, Kelly and I had already returned to camp, we heard 4 shots that bout blew us out of camp. We just knew Chris had found his cow!! So we now tease him about her being, deft, blind, and dumb because she just stood there till he finally hit her. Those 4 shots were not 1/4 mile from camp. Needless to say it was a very long night cleaning an elk with only the headlights of the pickup to see what you were doing!!

As for all the food I took--Well, the kids seemed to always make to much for them, so here is what I heard almost every night  "I made to much for dinner last night, do you and dad want it for your dinner tonight?"  Well I wasn't going to say no!!! After getting back home I unpacked probably 1/2 of what I took to fix. Not complaining here. It was really nice to just turn on the generator and put it in the microwave and warm it up. Kelly had made a Sloppy Dog recipe and after eating it I now have the recipe in the recipe box for the trailer. Yes, I have a separate box for just the ones we use while camping.

We also got to enjoy our Great Grandson for the last 2 days of the trip. His Grandma had had him for a while and brought him up to camp for Kelly (grandpa) to take home with him to his dad. He loves animals!!
 

As for the sewing department my daughter and I went to a craft fair a couple of weekends ago. Really enjoyed spending the day with her and all the fun we had. She also would see something and would say "I need one of those" or I need new potholder.  Well had already been making potholders. Had joined the potholer swat on HGTV message board and this is what I sent to my partner. (Her picture)
 
 
The item in the center is a pin that I tatted that has magnetic beads for the center and will hold your
needle when hand sewing. They keep me from poking them in the arm of the chair!! NOT GOOD!!
This is a picture of what she sent to me.

Also this past week made a casserole carrier and a rice pack for the daughter! Sorry no picture!!

Ok this is a long enough post. Guess that is what I get for waiting so long between posts. Also guess more happens around here than I think does.


Take Care and be Safe


No comments:

Post a Comment